It’s been a while since the last post…! Honestly I did forget about this place for a while when I was in India 😉
I got to spend some amazing time with my folks at home… Had a wonderful Christmas (with all sorts of wonderful dishes on the table) Celebrated my Dad’s 60th b’day… And also got the chance to welcome my adorable little nephew. 😀 I feel awful that I had to leave sooo soon after his birth! 😦 Still trying to convince my husband to send me back for another teeny holiday. 😉
Now coming back to the post. I first baked this cake for my husband’s b’day last year; and baked it again for my Dad’s 60th b’day.
This cake is the perfect indulgence dessert for any chocolate lover! The frosting is just sinful; yet so easy to make! The chocolate cake is quite dense and the cherry jam tastes amazing with the cake. The jam actually balances out the rich chocolate flavor and takes it to another level of indulgence. Tastes even more amazing if served with whipped cream! 😀
Adding coffee to the ganache enhances the richness of the chocolate flavor. It is optional and can be skipped. I picked up the tip from Ina Garten’s show. Also sometimes I feel the chocolate ganache needs a bit more sweetness. So I mix about 1-2 tablespoon of sugar to the cream.
- Semi-sweet Chocolate – 115 grams (Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips – ²/3 cup)
- Cocoa Powder – ¾ cup
- Boiling Water – 2 cups
- All-purpose Flour – 2¼ cups
- Baking Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Granulated White Sugar – 1½ cups
- Unsalted Butter – 226 grams (1 cup at room temperature)
- Eggs – 4 (room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract – 2 teaspoon
- Sour Cherry Jam – ¾ cup
For Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- Semi-sweet Chocolate – 230 grams (Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips – 1¹/3 cups)
- Thick Cream – ¾ cup (175 grams)
- Instant Coffee – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. Butter and line two 9 inch round cake pans with baking paper.
- Place the cocoa powder and the chocolate in a glass bowl. Pour the boiling water and stir until all the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until it becomes fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each edition. Add the vanilla extract and beat well.
- Fold in the flour mixture and the melted chocolate alternately in two batches.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer it to a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache, heat some water in a saucepan and wait till it starts to simmer. Place a large heatproof bowl over the saucepan. Pour the cream into the bowl and stir in the chocolate. Stir in the instant coffee granules (optional). Whisk well until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes smooth and shiny.
- Place the sour cherry jam in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the jam becomes loose and can be poured onto the cake.
- When the cakes are cooled, place one of them onto the serving plate. Spread the cherry jam over it. Place the other cake layer on top of this. Pour the chocolate ganache over the whole cake and spread it evenly.
Recipe adapted from Food52 Community