Hello everyone! Happy New Year…! (I know we’re already into the third week of January; but it still is a new year right.? ) So how’s 2016 so far? How about all those new year resolutions?
As for me, I have decided to go back to my books this year. I’ve never really enjoyed being digital..! My tab was always making me wander away. I kept hopping on to an e-mail, to another link, to a recipe, to some Facebook page and ended up miles away from the plot. Hopefully I’d be less distracted when I get back to my paperback! Started with Vanessa Diffenbaugh’s The Language of Flowers.
I also wish to be regular in making posts here in the blog! Considering it took me 3 weeks to make my first post of 2016, let’s see how that turns out…!! My husband has been complaining that I’ve not been baking much lately. I think he has forgotten the numerous fruit cakes that surrounded us during Christmas! Anyway I do plan to try out more recipes this year and hopefully would make their way here…
These super-moist chocolate cupcakes are something I love making all the time. But the actual highlight here is the peanut butter frosting!!! The cupcakes are in fact just a vehicle to carry this wonderfully light and creamy frosting. It’s a guaranteed hit with both the kids and grown-ups alike.
For the extra peanut crunch, chop some salted peanuts and sprinkle them on the frosted cupcakes.
- Unsalted Butter – 180 grams (¾ cup)
- All-purpose Flour – 1½ cup
- Baking Soda – 1½ teaspoon
- Cocoa Powder – ½ cup
- Granulated White Sugar – 1½ cup
- Hot Milk – 1 cup
- Eggs (large) – 2 (room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- Creamy Peanut Butter – 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter – 75 grams (5 tablespoon at room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract – ¾ teaspoon
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Icing Sugar – 1 cup
- Thick Cream – ¹⁄3 cup (75 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 180º C/350º F for 10 minutes before baking. Line a standard-size muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave.
- Powder the granulated sugar. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add the melted butter and half of the hot milk to the dry ingredients and mix it well. Beat the eggs lightly and add this to the cupcake mixture. Add the remaining milk and vanilla extract and whisk until the batter becomes smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and fill each cup to about two-thirds full. Bake the cupcakes for about 15 – 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 – 10 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
- In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, on medium-low speed, beat together the peanut butter, butter. vanilla extract, salt and icing sugar. Mix until it becomes creamy. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the frosting becomes light and smooth.
Makes about 24 cupcakes.
Frosting recipe adapted from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa