What happens when there are a few overripe bananas left at home? Well don’t throw them out just because they have turned all black and feel all squidgy! They say overripe bananas are the best…. They are full of antioxidants and easy to digest. Whenever I complain to be stressed out and tired, my Mom’s advice is to have bananas. Lots of Potassium in them.
There are a lot of ways to use up the ripe bananas without throwing them in the bin. Blend them into amazing smoothies! Overripe fruits make excellent picks for making jams! Steamed bananas also taste pretty good.
Or you can make this healthy banana bread! If you want to add or reduce the sweetness, adjust the amount of honey used.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 2 cups
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Overripe Bananas – 3
- Honey – ¾ cup
- Eggs – 2 (room temperature)
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Lightly butter a loaf pan.
- Mash the ripe bananas and keep aside. Lightly beat the eggs. Mix together the honey, eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in the banana mixture to the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.